Contacting the Council
Our number one priority is to serve the people of Orkney, and as a result, we have tried to make it easy for you to get in touch with us.
There are many different ways to contact the Council, from walking in during office hours to the Customer Services Reception Centres in both Kirkwall and Stromness - to telephoning, writing or e-mailing (further details below). Housed in the former East Kirk in School Place, Kirkwall and the Warehouse Buildings, 2-12 Victoria Street, Stromness, the Customer Services Reception Centres are your first port of call whenever you need information or advice from or about the Council.
The Customer Services Reception Centres are the gateway to the Council's services, and as the first port of call for most of your needs, offer the following services should you need to:
- Pay a bill.
- Collect an application form for Housing, Planning, Building Warrant, Education etc.
- Report a Council house repair.
- Report a street light fault.
- Report a road defect.
- Report winter road conditions.
- Arrange a special collection of bulky household items.
- Book an evening class.
- Collect bin bags, dog waste bags or green cone consumables.
- Collect a radar key for the disabled toilets.
- Obtain information relating to Housing and/or Council Tax Benefit.
- Collect an application form for a Council job.
- Or have any other questions about the services, advice and information the council can provide.
The Customer Services Reception Centres have full disabled access, Kirkwall being equipped with extensive hearing loop facilities and subscribes to the Royal National Institute for the Deaf’s Typetalk system. There is a relaxed and friendly atmosphere with Kirkwall having an open plan environment and meeting rooms available for more sensitive discussions.
We realise that even in a small community like Orkney it is often difficult to find the particular service or advice you need without a great deal of time and effort. So save yourself a load of hassle - and get in touch with the Customer Services Reception Centres.
As well as visiting the Customer Services Reception Centres, You can also:
- Telephone us on: 01856873535.
Various contact options are available from the 'Contact Us' section accessible from the 'Related Links' section of this page.
However you choose to make contact, we can guarantee that our fully trained reception staff will be friendly, approachable, and keen to provide the information you’re looking for.