Skip to content

Law and Licensing

The Law and Licensing section has articles on a wide range of topics, including registering births, marriages and deaths, freedom of information requests, alcohol licensing and business licensing.

All pages can be accessed from the 'More pages in this section' menu and include:

Film Permits

The Licensing service does not process requests for filming. If you require further information about this topic please contact the Communications service on telephone: 01856873535 extension 2245 or via email.

Coronavirus (Covid-19) - Licensing applications and queries 

The Council is under significant pressure to deliver only essential services whilst the current social isolation measures are in place within the UK.   Whilst we are making every effort to process licensing applications and respond to licensing queries, we are unable to respond at present within the normal timescales and there will inevitably be some delays.  We apologise for any inconvenience, although we are sure that you will fully understand the situation.  In the meantime any licensing applications or queries should be addressed to the Licensing Service at

Can't find what you're looking for?

If you have a Law and Licensing related topic that you cannot find an article on, please contact us to get further help and get your questions answered. We also welcome suggestions for future articles or features, so we can develop our web service.

If you require further information about this topic please contact the Licensing Team, Legal Services, on telephone: 01856873535 extensions 2229 or 2232 or via email.

If you would like to see someone in person to discuss a licensing matter please contact the Licensing Team to make an appointment.

Related Links

School Place, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1NY

Telephone: 01856 873535

Translate this website

Orkney Islands Council: BOREAS DOMUS MARE AMICUS