Travel Concessions Eligibility

Applying for free bus travel with the National Entitlement Card

To apply for your National Entitlement Card you will need:

Applicants should apply in person. However, (if applying on the grounds of disability and your mobility is such that you are unable to apply in person) please ask someone who knows you, who is not a relative or part of your family and is in a full-time, profession job (like a teacher, doctor, nurse, community worker, social worker, police officer, or religious leader) to write the following on the back of your photograph:

“I confirm that this is a true likeness of (name of person)”, sign and date the back of the photo.

The referee must also supply an address and telephone contact number, so that the information given may be verified.

For full terms and conditions of the National Entitlement Card system, please go the National Entitlement Card (NEC) website via the 'Related Sites' section.

Over 60s eligibility

To get a National Entitlement Card you must be:

People with a Disability

If you are a resident in Scotland, aged 5 or over and meet one of the listed criteria, you are entitled to free bus travel with the National Entitlement Card.

Evidence letters

If you receive Attendance Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Living Allowance under the higher rate of mobility or higher/middle rate of care, live in a care or residential home or hospital, or are a blue badge holder you'll need a letter to confirm your eligibility.

Companion entitlement

If you need a companion to help you use public transport your National Entitlement Card will allow them to travel for free too.
Travelling with a companion can make things much easier. Helping you on and off the bus, carrying shopping or communicating with the driver helps maintain the freedom you get with the National Entitlement Card.

Travel Companion logo

If you have this symbol on your card, you're entitled to have a companion travel with you, on the same journey, for free. Your companion and journey can vary but your companion can only travel for free when they are with you. You are not obliged to travel with a companion but the entitlement is there for when you need it.

Eligibility for Companion Travel

Your companion is entitled to travel for free if you meet one of the following criteria:

Scotland-Wide Concessionary Travel Scheme for Young People

All 16 to 18 year olds and young full-time volunteers up to the age of 25 are entitled to concessionary travel on buses, rail and ferries. The scheme provides a third off bus and rail travel. Eligible people in Orkney are also entitled to two free return ferry journeys to the mainland each year.

Air Discount Scheme

The Air Discount Scheme provides 50% discount on flights to the Scottish Mainland and to other eligible areas in the Highlands and Islands. The Air Discount Scheme is available to all people whose main residence is Orkney (and other qualifying areas in the Highlands and Islands). The scheme also includes students from the eligible areas who are studying away from home. Information on the Air Discount Scheme is available at the ADS website in the Related Sites section or by calling Telephone: 0800 0322 890.

Rail Travel Discounts for Orkney Residents

Residents of Orkney are entitled to purchase a Highland Rail Card which gives 50% off rail travel on the following routes:

Valid on ScotRail services only.

You can buy your Highland Rail Cards from the following staffed stations:

Applications by post should be sent to the following address enclosing your application form, proof of residence, passport sized photograph and payment (cheque or postal order only).

Highland Railcard Applications

Travel Centre, Inverness Railway Station, Station Square, Academy Street, Inverness, IV1 1LE.

Related Links

Related Sites

School Place, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1NY

Telephone: 01856 873535


Orkney Islands Council: BOREAS DOMUS MARE AMICUS