The Athlete Travel Award Scheme is designed to support performance or development athletes from Orkney with their travel and accommodation costs for an agreed training and competition schedule.
This scheme is funded by sportscotland and Orkney Islands Council and is administered locally by Orkney Islands Council. The scheme can support individuals that are taking part in recognised sports. We hope it will make a real difference to the quality of sports performance for people living in Orkney.
The overarching aim of this scheme is to improve opportunities for Orkney athletes to participate, progress and achieve in sport by:
Applications will open again in August for the October 23 - March 24 period.
- Helping to prepare Scotland's best athletes from Orkney to perform on the national and international stage;
- Providing financial support for Orkney athletes to access high performance expertise in sport;
- Helping Orkney athletes to consistently achieve selection to national age grade, national GB programmes and ultimately winning on the world stage.
The outcomes that will be monitored by this scheme are:
- Athletes from Orkney gaining National representation (age group / open) in accordance with Scottish Governing Body pathways;
- Athletes from Orkney gaining representation at the Commonwealth Games;
- Athletes from Orkney gaining selection to GB World Class (Podium, Podium Potential) funded programmes in Olympic / Paralympic sports;
- Athletes from Orkney winning medals at the NatWest International Island Games;
- Athletes from Orkney who are currently on a Professional Sporting Pathway;
- Athletes from Orkney who are transitioning to Mainland Scotland to further their sporting pathways within higher performing environments.