Skip to content

Allocation of Residential Care

The process leading to allocation of a residential place.

Where your Single Shared Assessment shows that you can no longer remain at home because a full care package of care at home, Crossroads; respite breaks and the support of any informal carers can no longer meet your needs and keep you safe and well, your care manager will speak to you about the need to consider moving into a residential care home.

You may be at home or may have been admitted to hospital. Your care manager will give you as much information as possible about moving into a care home. Your care manager may also ask whether you would be prepared to move to a care home out with Orkney, as for some people this will allow them to be closer to their family members.

Your care manager will discuss the financial implications of a move to residential care and will assist in completing a financial assessment form for charging purposes. Further information about this is available elsewhere.

Your care manager will inform you in writing as to the date your assessment goes to an allocation of care meeting.

What is allocation of residential care?

Allocation of Residential Care is a group which meets weekly to look at the assessments and circumstances of people who may need residential care in Orkney or elsewhere. The group comprises service and operational managers from Orkney Health and Care, Housing and from the Balfour Hospital.

What does allocation of residential care do?

Allocation of Residential Care looks at all assessments referred to the group, and specifically at the level of risk involved in the person remaining at home. They will consider whether there are any alternatives to moving into residential care, and if this is the case, they will ask the care manager to act on their suggestions.

Where the level of risk to the person is such that they cannot be kept safe and well at home, or where the person is already in hospital and cannot be discharged home because of the level of risk, Allocation of Residential Care will agree that the person be put on the list for a place in a residential unit or may allocate the person a vacancy, if one is available.

Each week, Allocation of Residential Care reviews the assessments of people who continue to wait for a residential place to be allocated to ensure that people are properly considered for vacancies that arise.

What factors influence which residential place is allocated?

Residential places are allocated on the basis of which care home or wing within a care home can best meet the person’s needs. People whose needs are increased due to dementia may be allocated a place in the specialist wings in St Rognvald’s House or at Smiddybrae House. People with a high level of physical care needs may be allocated a bed at St Rognvald‘s House or Smiddybrae House. People whose needs are less intensive may be offered a place at St Peter’s House.

It is not always possible to offer a choice of residential home because of the relative scarcity of places, but if you are allocated a bed in a care home that was not your first choice, you have the option to be placed on the transfer list for a place in your preferred home, if they are able to meet your needs. The allocation of care group will offer you a transfer to your preferred care home as soon as circumstances allow.

What happens once you are allocated a place or are waiting for a place?

Your care manager will advise you of the allocation or that you are awaiting a place and will put this in writing to you and to your Power of Attorney or Guardian or your family if you have agreed to this.

If you continue to wait for a place, your care manager will keep in touch with you and will update your assessment, should your needs change, for submission to allocation of care.

Once you are allocated a place, your care manager will ensure that the care home knows about your needs and will make arrangements for you to move from home or hospital into the care home.  A member of staff from the care home will usually visit you prior to your move to make sure the move goes smoothly and that the home is prepared to look after you.

What happens if I do not want to accept a place offered to me?

If you do not accept the place offered, the offer will be withdrawn. If you are in hospital, you may have to be discharged home. Orkney Health and Care will provide all available services to assist you at home, but these may not be enough to keep you safe and well.

If you do not accept a place but later change your mind, the Allocation of Residential Care group will reconsider your needs and allocate you a place or add you to the waiting list in the same way as they did with your original application.

Where a person lacks capacity in terms of The Adults with Incapacity Act, Orkney Islands Council may use powers under the act to provide the person with a residential place to ensure that their needs are met and they are safe.

Useful Addresses

To arrange a Single Shared Assessment of your needs contact:

Duty Worker.

Adult Services Teams.

Orkney Health and Care.

Council Offices.


KW15 1NY.

Tel:  01856873535.

School Place, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1NY |  01856 873535 | Translate | Accessibility | Copyright | Privacy | Investors In People Logo