Skip to content

Adult Protection CommitteeAdult Support and Protection in Orkney

Please note that this page is currently under review for updating. In the meantime if you have a safeguarding concern about an adult, please contact the Adult Social Work team on 01856 873535 extension 2643 who will assist you. If your call is out of hours please contact the Balfour Switchboard 01856 888000 and ask for the Out of Hours Social Worker

What to do if you are worried about an adult at risk

The Adult Support and Protection Act became law in Scotland in 2007. The law provides powers and duties for local authorities to investigate where they hear that an adult might be at risk and to support adults who are at risk of harm. People who can be helped using this Act must meet the following three criteria:

However, even if a person does not meet the criteria, they will be offered advice or assistance by the local authority. What does Harm mean?

Harm can be anything that has a negative impact on a person and the way that they wish to live. It may mean that someone is abusing the person, that they are being neglected or that they are neglecting their own wellbeing. Harm can happen at home, in a care home or a hospital or in the local community.

Britt Harcus IllustrationWhat to do if you are worried about someone or worried about yourself

All Adult Support and Protection pages can be accessed from the 'More pages in this section' menu.

Related Downloads

Related Sites

School Place, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1NY

Telephone: 01856 873535

Translate this website

Orkney Islands Council: BOREAS DOMUS MARE AMICUS