Your Household Collection Service - Isles
This section details services relating to the safe collection and disposal of Household waste and recycling for the Outer Isles in Orkney.
All related documents are available from the 'Related Downloads' section of this page.
Notice: Recycling Guide for Outer Isles has been made inaccessible for review
- Westray is allocated black bags and a 240 Litre wheelie bin for storage, Currently there is no kerbside recycling collection
- Shapinsay Is allocated with a 240 Litre Wheelie bin or Red Bag alternative collection and green bins or box and bags for recycling at the kerbside
- All other outer isles are allocated black bags and 1 wheelie bin for black bag storage and 2 recycling bins for storing recycling before bringing to a bring site.
To request black/coloured bags and/or wheelie bins please call 01856 873535. Please note residents of Stronsay do not need to call to request bags, please collect from the Island Link Office on Stronsay between 10am and 12Noon (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday).
- Shapinsay is currently in line with Mainland Orkney in getting their waste and recycling collected on an alternate weekly basis. Under this scheme, domestic refuse is collected one week and recyclable items the next.
- Westray - due to current operational reasons we have temporarily suspended recycling collections. Households will received weekly waste collections until further notice.
- However, on the remaining Outer Isles, the service differs and a weekly bag collection remains at the moment.
- When putting out your bags, please avoid blocking access such as a public footway, as this can cause a trip hazard. Bags must be out by 08:00 to avoid a missed collection. When collection points are located on a grass verge, e.g. in rural areas, bags should be placed clear of any road access.
- Bags should not be overfilled that they are not properly tied and secure to prevent spillage of waste. This is to prevent the potential for vermin to break open bags and spread litter about.
Help your neighbour if elderly, for example by giving a helping hand on a windy day to put out their bags.
Isles Waste Collection Days
- Monday: Sanday and Westray.
- Tuesday: Flotta, Graemsay, Stronsay.
- Wednesday: Eday and Shapinsay*.
- Thursday: Hoy, North Ronaldsay, Papa Westray, Rousay, Egilsay and Wyre.
*Alternate Weekly Collection.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the collection and disposal of Household waste on the Isles, please phone 01856873535 or email email@example.com.