Skip to content

Placing Requests

Though most parents choose to put their child to a nursery setting in their local area, some parents may find it more convenient to use a nursery elsewhere. To ask for an alternative placement is called a 'placing request'.

A reason such as ‘brothers/sisters attend school already’ or ‘moving house’ may be considered. Parents may also want to choose another setting because of their childcare arrangements. You can ask for a place in a nursery that is not in your catchment by filling in a placing request form. We will do our best, but requests cannot be guaranteed unless there are spaces at the nursery.

Placing Requests into Kirkwall Settings - Due to a change in legislation with regards to deferrals, it will not be possible to consider placing requests or split placements. Only exceptional requests will be considered.

If you would like to use more than one local authority setting you can request this by filling in a split placement form available by request.

You do not need to fill in a placing request form for your child’s second year of nursery unless you would like to change settings. Please note that your child is not guaranteed a place at that school for Primary 1, and you will have to fill in a new form when they start school.

Acknowledgement of placing requests will be sent with final decisions being made in early May. Please note that placing requests and split placements cannot be guaranteed.

How are places allocated?

Usually, all eligible children are able to have an early learning and childcare place in their local school or setting. However, if no provision exists in the local area, or if the child arrived late into an area and the setting is full, the child will be offered a place in an alternative setting.

New requests for places will be prioritised in the following way:

  1. Eligible child who lives in the catchment area.
  2. Eligible child outwith the catchment area who has additional support needs which are best met in the setting. This would include Looked After children.
  3. Placing or split placement request for an eligible child who lives outwith the catchment area who has a sibling already in that setting (in 2 year old provision or nursery).
  4. Placing or split placement request for an eligible child who lives outwith the catchment area who has a sibling already in school (P1-7).
  5. Placing or split placement request for eligible child to meet childcare requirements for working parents, for example, the setting offers an all year pattern.
  6. New placing requests not covered above.

School Place, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1NY |  01856 873535 | Translate | Accessibility | Copyright | Privacy | Investors In People Logo