Skip to content


The information here has been designed to help you organise your marriage ceremony.

The Civil Partnerships page can be accessed from the 'More pages in this section' menu.

Religious or Belief Marriages

If you wish to have a religious or belief marriage ceremony you should contact the minister, priest or other celebrant to make arrangements. You also have to contact the Registrar to obtain the Marriage Notice Forms (M10) which have to be completed and submitted with the appropriate documentation and fee.

Civil Marriages

Whether you choose to have your ceremony in the Registration Office or at a venue of your choice, we will be happy to assist you in every way to ensure you have a day to remember.

When you have decided on a date, place and time, contact the Registrar to check their availability. Bookings can be made well in advance, however the Marriage Notice Forms cannot be submitted until three months prior to the date of marriage.

Your ceremony can be tailored to you specific wishes. Music can be played for the guests arriving and for the entrance of the bride. This can be a piece of music which is special to the bride and groom. You may also wish to consider having readings or poetry as part of the ceremony and this can be carried out by family or friends. Many couples wish to make personal promises to each other and these can be serious, funny or romantic. The Registrar will be more than happy to discuss this with you.

You can now include religious readings or hymns as part of your marriage ceremony, however this would not be carried out by the Registrar, probably by family or friends.

Marriage Notice

Marriage Notice Forms (M10) have to be completed and submitted not less than 29 days prior to the date of marriage and not more than three months before the proposed date. These forms have to be completed no matter what type of marriage you are having.

Documents to be Submitted

If you are not a British Citizen you may also need to provide a Certificate of No Impediment. This is a document issued by your home country stating that you are free to marry.

If you are coming into the UK from a non EEA country further documentation will be required. Visit the National Records of Scotland website for further information, available from the 'Related Sites' section of this page.

If any documentation is in a language other than English it will need to be accompanied by a translation.


Please contact the Registrar who will provide you with the relevant fees.

Marriage Schedule

For religious or belief marriages the Marriage Schedule should be collected by the bride or groom from the Registrar not earlier than 7 days prior to the marriage.

Following the ceremony the Marriage Schedule should be returned to the Registrar in order for the marriage to be registered, you will then receive a marriage certificate on payment of the fee.

For civil marriages the Registrar is responsible for taking the Marriage Schedule to the ceremony.

Changing an Existing Civil Partnership to a Marriage

Guidance on how to change an existing civil partnership to a marriage can be found on the National Records of Scotland website from the 'Related Sites' section of this page.

Related Sites

School Place, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1NY

Telephone: 01856 873535

Translate this website

Orkney Islands Council: BOREAS DOMUS MARE AMICUS