Skip to content


Orkney Islands Council issues licences, permits and permissions for various types of activities and businesses. If you require further information about this topic please contact the Licensing Team, Legal Services, on telephone: 01856873535 extensions 2229 or 2232 or via email.

If you would like to see someone in person to discuss a licensing matter please contact the Licensing Team to make an appointment.

A list of the application fees for each licence category is available from the 'Related Downloads' section of this page.

Coronavirus (Covid-19) - Licensing applications and queries 

The Council is under significant pressure to deliver only essential services whilst the current social isolation measures are in place within the UK.   Whilst we are making every effort to process licensing applications and respond to licensing queries, we are unable to respond at present within the normal timescales and there will inevitably be some delays.  We apologise for any inconvenience, although we are sure that you will fully understand the situation.  In the meantime any licensing applications or queries should be addressed to the Licensing Service at

Civic Government Licensing

Licences are issued by the Licensing Committee of Orkney Islands Council for a wide range of functions listed below.

The functions that require a licence include Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO), Indoor Sports Entertainment, Knife Dealers, Late Hours Catering, Market Operators, Metal Dealers, Public Charitable Collection, Public Entertainment, Raised Structures, Second Hand Dealers, Sex Shops, Skin Piercing and Tattooing, Street Traders, Taxis and Private Hire Cars and Window Cleaners.

All pages can be accessed from the 'More pages in this section' menu.

Related Downloads