Skip to content

Landlords - Direct Payment

Housing Benefit is normally paid direct to a tenant. But landlords can receive the payments:

  • With the tenant’s consent.
  • When the tenant is eight weeks or more behind with the rent.
  • When the tenant has moved and owes rent.
  • When we think it is in the tenant’s best interests.

From April 2008 there is a new way of working out new claims for Housing benefit for tenants renting accommodation from a private landlord. This is called the Local Housing Allowance, please view the Local Housing Allowance section, available through the  'Related Links' section of this web page, for more information.

How are Payments Made?

If the payments are made direct to the landlord, it is normally in the form of a cheque paid every four weeks. The landlord has to sign an agreement form and has to:

  • Tell the council if the tenant moves out.
  • Tell the council of any change that could affect the tenant’s entitlement to benefit.
  • Report any suspected fraud.
  • Repay any overpaid benefit.


Landlords will be told how much benefit they’ll receive and the date when they’ll start to receive payments.

Further Information

For further information please contact the Benefits team on telephone 01856873535 extension 2116.

School Place, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1NY |  01856 873535 | Translate | Accessibility | Copyright | Privacy | Investors In People Logo