Skip to content

Finding Tenants

You can advertise in the local newspapers or by putting cards in the local shop windows. You may choose to employ the services of a solicitor or a letting agent to advertise your property, draw up a tenancy agreement for you or even to take on the management of the property.

Orkney Lets

If you wish, you can use Orkney Lets - the free property advertising service provided by Housing Services at Orkney Islands Council. Vacant properties are advertised online and provided to prospective tenants in paper format. Housing Services receive many enquiries from people looking for accommodation and they are provided with details of properties through Orkney Lets. This service is provided free of charge and you can add or remove properties as often as you wish.

Please note that you are now required to include the Energy Performance Indicator rating in any advertisement along with your Landlord Registration Number.

Where a landlord advertising a property does not yet have a registration number but their application has been submitted but has yet to be determined, the advertisement should clearly state “landlord registration pending”. Where a property is owned by two or more landlords, it is sufficient to have just one of the landlord’s registration numbers in the advertisement.

If you have a vacant property you wish to advertise through Orkney Lets please complete and return the Property Information Form, available from 'Related Downloads' section of this page. Please note that Orkney Islands Council does not carry out any form of check on prospective tenants using the service and you are advised to complete your usual reference checks prior to letting the property.

Related Downloads

Related Links