Financial Assistance and Advice
Unfortunately the attached PDF documents are not fully web-accessible. However, fully accessible versions are available in the zip file located in the 'Related Downloads' section. If you have problems accessing or reading them, please contact Economic Development.
The Council offers advice, support and financial assistance to help businesses establish themselves, expand, develop and reach new markets.
- The Council encourages business innovation and so applications for assistance on larger, more diverse projects are considered by the Development and Infrastructure Committee as they emerge.
- Sector-wide schemes which aim to spread the benefits throughout an entire sector rather than at the level of individual business are also encouraged provided they meet the objectives of encouraging economic diversification; raising the average wage rate; and/or overcoming barriers to export.
- We do not usually provide financial assistance to businesses in the retail goods/services sector. However, support may be awarded towards the setting up of an innovative, new service, not already available in Orkney, provided it is not just a marginal modification of an existing business.
There is a range of financial and other support available to new and growing businesses in Orkney. Please contact your Business Adviser on 01856886666 to discuss eligibility.
Download guides for the following from the 'Financial Support' link in the 'Related Sites' section of this page.
- Flexible Business Development Grant Guidelines.
- Graduate Placement Scheme.
- Grant Scheme Summary.
- New Business Start Up Grant.
- Rural Shop Grant Scheme.
- Tourism Grant Scheme.
- Community Development Fund Summary Guide.
- Economic Development Grant Scheme Guidelines.
Applying for Grant Assistance
For further details and advice regarding Economic Development Grant assistance, please contact the Business Gateway on telephone 01856898595. You can also find out more on the Business Gateway website.
Community Based Projects
We also offer financial assistance to a wide-range of community based projects such as the Rural Shop Improvement Scheme and the Archaeology Fund.
There is an attached PDF within the 'Related Downloads' section with additional support for financial assistance.
Please contact the Council's Economic Development Staff on 01856873535 or by email.