Skip to content

Commercial Waste and Recycling

All Commercial Waste and Recycling pages can be accessed from the 'More pages in this section' menu.

What counts as commercial waste?

Any waste that comes from a commercial activity is commercial waste. If you use part of your home to run your business then any waste from that part is commercial waste.

Commercial waste also includes any waste that comes from:

  • Construction.
  • Demolition.
  • Industry.
  • Agriculture.

Commercial Waste Services provided by Orkney Islands Council include cost effective, reliable and environmentally responsible waste management solutions to a wide range of businesses. We aim to provide you with a quality, reliable service at an annual fixed cost. We do not exist to make a profit from our services.

We currently offer general waste, cardboard, cooking oil and recycling collection services to businesses. Collection services can be, wherever possible, tailored to the needs of your business, the amount of waste you produce and the amount of times you need your bin(s) emptied.

Waste Collection on the Isles

There is no provision currently on the Outer Isles for wheeled bins for business premises. This is owing to the fact that the collection vehicles don’t have the correct lifting equipment installed. There is a beige bag system in place for outer isles businesses and this will continue for the foreseeable future.

Waste Aware Resources

Trying to get staff and customers on board with recycling can be a bit of challenge sometimes. We are here to help! We can offer advice through presentations about recycling and waste minimisation for all types of business (e.g. self-catering cottages, campsites, hotels, offices, etc).

We are also able to visit your premises to provide free health checks on waste and recycling to ensure you are complying with the current waste duty of care regulations.

Commercial Waste - Terms and Conditions

You will find the current Commercial Waste - Terms and Conditions below in the 'Related Downloads' section of this page.

Commercial Waste Contacts

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the collection and disposal of your commercial waste or recycling please contact Development and Infrastructure on telephone 01856873535 extension 2320 or via email.

Commercial Special Collections

Special collections from commercial premises can be arranged by contacting Development and Infrastructure on telephone number 01856873535 extension 2320.

Deposit Return Scheme (DRS)

Scotland is introducing a deposit return scheme (DRS) due to begin in August 2023. All drinks retailers will have a legal duty to accept returned drink containers and refund consumer’s deposits. If your restaurant, café, bar or other business sells drinks in single-use glass, plastic or metal containers, you’ll need to take part in the new deposit return scheme. If you produce drinks, import, or sell them online you will also need to take part in the scheme.

DRS is a new law introduced by Scottish Government and administered by Circularity Scotland Ltd. You can find out more about Circularity Scotland and the scheme on their website.

School Place, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1NY |  01856 873535 | Translate | Accessibility | Copyright | Privacy | Investors In People Logo