Skip to content

Change of Circumstances

If you are receiving Housing Benefit you must tell us about any changes in your circumstances which might affect your claim. You may lose some entitlement to benefit if you fail to tell us of a change within 1 month of the change taking place.

Things to Tell Us About

The following are examples of changes you must tell us about:

You can tell us about changes by completing the form for reporting changes of circumstances in the Related Downloads section of this page.

Change of Address

If you are already claiming benefit and you are changing your address you can download a copy of our Change of Address form from the Related Downloads section of this page.

Failure to Notify

Failure to notify us of changes in your circumstances may result in any overpaid benefit being recovered from you. Approximately 85% of all overpayments are as a result of delays in telling the Council about changes in circumstances.

You will reduce the risks of being overpaid if you tell us straight away about changes of circumstances.

Further Information

For further information on notifying us of a change in your circumstances, please contact the Benefits Team on telephone 01856873535 or email the benefits team.

Related Sites

School Place, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1NY

Telephone: 01856 873535

Translate this website

Orkney Islands Council: BOREAS DOMUS MARE AMICUS