Almost 150 families in Orkney are to benefit from free school meal financial support over the summer holidays.
The Council has agreed to make a payment of £2.50 per weekday for each pupil who qualifies – around 265 pupils in Orkney - with a single payment of £90 being made to cover the entire holiday period for each eligible child/young person.
The payments will be made directly to bank accounts of families of eligible pupils, excluding leavers, who are currently in years P1-S6.
Pupils are eligible if their families receive any of the following benefits or support:
- Income Support.
- Income-based Job Seekers’ Allowance.
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
- Universal Credit where the monthly earned income does not exceed £625.
- Child Tax Credit only – income must be under £16,190.
- Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit – income must be under £7,500.
- Support under Part VI of Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
Families in Orkney are being encouraged to apply for free school meals and clothing allowances before the end of term – which may open up other pandemic support grants available to them.
For anyone who is unable to access the online application form they can call 01856 873535 and a paper copy form will be posted to them.