As part of the efforts to help to delay the spread of COVID-19, the Registration Office at Kirkwall is closed to the public until further notice.
This is in line with advice from the Depute Registrar General, the UK and Scottish Governments.
As a result, further restrictions have been placed on the delivery of the Registration Service, as follows:
- Birth registration has been suspended until further notice. Further guidance will be available shortly, but there is no need to worry about the 21-day time limit.
- Death registrations are being carried out remotely. Please call the Senior Registrar on the phone number below for guidance.
- Home-based Registrars in North Ronaldsay, Papa Westray, Westray, Sanday, Stronsay, Eday, Stromness, Hoy and Flotta will not be undertaking any registrations until further notice. Anyone on those islands requiring a registration service should contact the Senior Registrar, in the first instance, for advice.
- No Civil Marriage or Partnership ceremonies will be conducted until further notice and restrictions have been lifted.
- Notices of marriage or civil partnership will be accepted by post, but these may not be processed until normal service is resumed.
- Citizenship Ceremonies have been postponed until further notice, unless under direct instruction of the Home Office. In such instances, individual advice will be provided to applicants.
- Requests for extracts, certificates or searches will only be accepted by post or over the telephone. There may be a delay in processing requests until normal service has resumed. All orders will be provided by post. You will not be able to collect these in person.
The above restrictions will be kept under review and may be subject to further change in line with legislation or guidance.
If you have any queries, or need further advice, please call the Senior Registrar on 07860448271.