Welcome to Orkney’s Early Learning and Childcare web page. Here you will find information on our new Willow Tree Nursery (0-3 non-statutory provision) and our statutory funded early learning and childcare provision (Local Authority Nurseries and partnership childminders). Our ELC policies can be found in the 'Related Downloads' section of this page.
Registration week for funded Early Learning and Childcare is Friday 17 February 9am until 5pm Friday 24 February 2023.
If you still require to register for 2022/23 please contact email@example.com.
Funded Early Learning and Childcare (3-5 year olds including eligible 2 year olds)
Willow Tree Nursery (0-3 years)
Willow Tree nursery is a new provision which opened summer of 2021 for children aged 6 months to 3 years. Children can attend until they become eligible for a government funded Early Learning and Childcare place (the term after the child turns three) which is offered in local authority nurseries throughout Orkney as detailed below.
The nursery offers both full and part time places. Parents can request a part time place based on a combination of these session times:
- Mornings with lunch from 0800-1300 (5 hours)
- Afternoons from 1300-1730 (4.5 hours)
All places are £6 per hour.
Frequently Asked Questions
We are required by the Scottish Government to provide 1140 hours of Early Learning and Childcare to 3 and 4 year olds and eligible 2 year olds.
- Up to 30 hours per week during term-time in the following settings: Burray, Eday, Evie, Firth, Hope, North Walls, Orphir, Papa Westray, Rousay, Sanday, Shapinsay, Stenness, Stronsay, The Strynd and Westray.
- Up to 30 hours per week during term-time or 25 hours year round which is over 46 weeks in the following settings: Glaitness, Papdale, Dounby, St Andrews and Stromness.
- If demand is not sufficient to operate during the holiday periods at Dounby, Stromness or St Andrews, provision will be offered in Kirkwall and staff from these settings will work at the hubs so your child meets a familiar adult.
- The five weeks that the 46 week settings will be closed are Christmas and public holidays, first two weeks of July for a deep-clean and during the five in-service days.
- Find out more about the opening hours that settings offer.