Orkney Islands Council
Working together for a better Orkney

Single Shared Assessment

How your needs for care are assessed

What is an assessment and who can ask for one?

An assessment  looks with a person at their circumstances and what they need to help them live life safely, comfortably and as independently as possible.

All adults with a disability are entitled to an assessment of their needs. Carers are also entitled to an assessment of their circumstances.

There is now a single form used to gather information about you no matter which type of professional fills it in. You may also complete the form yourself if you are requesting a simple service.

The single shared assessment means that if we record your details once we will not need to ask you again unless they change.

Who can assess my needs?

In Orkney assessments are done by all of the following people:

  • Nurses.
  • Social Workers.
  • Occupational Therapists.
  • Rehabilitation Officers.
  • Housing Staff.

If possible, the assessment will be done by the person who knows you best or is the most appropriate professional to assess or meet the type of needs you have. Carers may also have their assessment done by staff from Orkney Carers Centre.

Can I see my assessment?

Your assessment will be recorded with you, and you will need to see it to sign the form agreeing that is a true record.

You will be offered a copy of the assessment to keep for your records.

Will anyone else see my assessment?

When you first provide us with information, you will be asked if you consent to us recording your details so that the people who arrange your care have access to the information on a ‘need to know basis’. You can also see all the information we have on record about you.  If you have appointed a Power of Attorney or have a Guardian under The Adults with Incapacity Act, they can request access to your assessment and file material on your behalf.

Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you may request access to the personal information we hold on you. A fee may be charged. Initially you can approach the person making the assessment to assist with this or alternatively you can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer direct.

What happens next?

If you need services for which there is a charge, you will be asked to provide information for a financial assessment. This will let you know how much, if anything, you will need to pay. You do not need to take part in the financial assessment if you do not wish to, however if you do not, you will be charged the maximum amount for services you receive.
The services you need will be agreed with you and the people who will provide your care will contact you directly to arrange this.  Your services will be reviewed at least once a year or sooner depending on your circumstances and whether your needs are changing.

If you are over 65, your assessment will be used to calculate a score for your level of need. This will be anonymous but will help us to plan services to meet people’s needs in Orkney. The calculation we use is called an Indicator of Relative Need (IoRN).