Many lanes in Stromness had lost their official street name sign and were known by local knowledge only. Therefore, the Stromness THI, in conjunction with the Stromness Community Council, installed traditional hand painted signs with white lettering on a dark blue background recognising a number of lanes and wynds within the Conservation Area. In addition, existing vinyl signs were either re-painted or replaced with hand painted blue metal signs.
An event was held at Stromness Town Hall where there were presentations exploring traditional shop signage, retailers were then able to access funding to reinstate traditional shop signage on their businesses.
Church Road Water Pump
The Stromness THI project funded restoration works to the decommissioned cast-iron pillar fountain, manufactured in the late-19th century by the Glenfield Company Limited, Kilmarnock.
In 1857 Vice-Admiral Robert Fitzroy designed the robust and simple ‘Fishery Barometer’ which laid the foundations of modern weather forecasting. Just under 100 of these barometers were placed around the coast, Stromness being one of the places to obtain one. Works were carried out to restore the barometer and interpretation was installed to allow everyone to appreciate its history and significance.
Login's Well supplied water to ships calling at the port of Stromness but was sealed in 1931. A stone by the well bears an inscription proclaiming that water from the well was used to supply Captain Cook's Discovery and Sir John Franklin's arctic exploration vessels as well as the ships of the Hudson Bay. Grant funding has allowed much needed restoration work to be completed.