Orkney Islands Council
Working together for a better Orkney

Christmas Grant 2017

Orkney Islands Council will make a Christmas Grant payment of £40 from its Reserve Fund to any person who normally resides in Orkney; and between 1 October 2017 and 25 December 2017 is either:

  • A person aged 60 years or over and receiving Pension Credit.
  • A disabled person aged 18 years or over.
  • A parent of a disabled child under 18 years.

A disabled person is eligible if they receive one of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance.
  • Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.
  • Employment and Support Allowance, Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance.
  • is Registered Blind.

How to claim the grant

Application forms are available from:

  • The 'Related Downloads' section of this web page.
  • Customer Services at the Council Offices, Kirkwall, KW15 1NY. Telephone: 01856873535 extension 2903.
  • Customer Services at the Warehouse Buildings, Stromness. Telephone: 01856873535 extension 2901.
  • Via email.

Couples who receive Pension Credit will need to complete two separate application forms (one for each person).

Completed forms should be sent to Orkney Islands Council (Christmas Grants), Council Offices, Kirkwall, KW15 1NY before 1 December 2017 where possible (claims made after 25 December 2017 may not be considered).

If you received the grant in 2016 you will automatically be sent an application form. If you did not qualify in 2016 you must contact us to receive an application form. Payment will be made by Bank Transfer from the Council. No payments will be made by the Post Office.

Pension Credits

Pension Credit is an entitlement for people aged 60 years or over living in Great Britain and guarantees everyone aged 60 years and over a minimum weekly income. If you do not already receive Pension Credit and think you may be eligible to apply you can either:

• Contact the Pension Service by telephone on 0800991234. Or via the website available from the 'Related Sites' section of this web page.

• Contact the Orkney Citizens Advice Bureau for advice and assistance; Anchor Buildings, Bridge Street, Kirkwall, KW15 1HR. Telephone: 01856875266.

Home visits may also be available.

Related Sites

Related Downloads