Your Household Collection Service - Isles
Information for the Christmas and New Year period is available from the 'Related Links' section of this page.
This section details services relating to the safe collection and disposal of Household waste and recycling for the Outer Isles in Orkney.
- Westray and Shapinsay are allocated black bags, a 240 Litre wheelie bin and coloured recyclate bags (Plastic bottles in the purple bags, cans in the blue bags, glass in the green bags and paper/ thin card in the clear bags).
- All other outer isles are allocated black bags and up to 2 wheelie bins for storage of the black bags.
- In 2016, every resident on the outer isles (excluding Westray and Shapinsay who already have a storage bin) were given the opportunity to opt to receive up to 2 wheeled bins for the safe storage of their domestic refuse and/or recyclates.
To request black/coloured bags and/or wheelie bins please call 01856873535. Please note residents of Stronsay do not need to call to request bags, please collect from the Island Link Office on Stronsay between 10am and 12Noon (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday).
- Westray and Shapinsay are currently in line with Mainland Orkney in getting their waste and recycling collected on an alternate weekly basis. Under this scheme, domestic refuse is collected one week and recyclable items the next.
- However, on the remaining Outer Isles, the service differs and a weekly bag collection remains at the moment.
- When putting out your bags, please avoid blocking access such as a public footway, as this can cause a trip hazard. Bags must be out by 08:00 to avoid a missed collection. When collection points are located on a grass verge, e.g. in rural areas, bags should be placed clear of any road access.
- Bags should not be overfilled that they are not properly tied and secure to prevent spillage of waste. This is to prevent the potential for vermin to break open bags and spread litter about.
Help your neighbour if elderly, for example by giving a helping hand on a windy day to put out their bags.
Isles Waste Collection Days
- Monday: Stronsay and Sanday.
- Tuesday: Flotta, Graemsay and Westray*.
- Wednesday: Eday.
- Thursday: Hoy, North Ronaldsay, Papa Westray, Rousay, Egilsay and Wyre.
- Friday: Shapinsay*.
*Alternate Weekly Collection
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the collection and disposal of Household waste on the Isles, please phone 01856873535 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.