Did you know? The average household uses 21 batteries a year. Currently, only a very small percentage of consumer disposable batteries are recycled (less than 2%).
Batteries including those from mobile phones, laptops, hearing aids, watches, portable cameras, torches, electric toothbrushes, razors, hand-held vacuum cleaners, toys and other household batteries can be recycled at the locations listed in the ‘Related Downloads’ section.
It is important that you dispose of your household batteries into a battery recycling container at one of the sites listed in the ‘Related Downloads’ section of this page. Batteries contain chemicals like lead and mercury and if they are taken to a landfill, can leak into the soil and water, which can result in a risk of health to humans.
If you recycle batteries, you are helping to avoid these health risks and some of the valuable and raw materials within batteries can be reused again to make new products. If you can, use rechargeable batteries or use solar powered or wind up items where possible.
Information on what to do with batteries can be found on the Recycle for Scotland website. A link is available from the 'Related Sites' section of this page.
Places to take your household batteries for recycling
Orkney Islands Council now has specific containers for the collection of household batteries, including mobile phone batteries. The batteries that are collected will be recycled.
Containers are located in the following locations:
- Customer Services, School Place, Kirkwall, KW15 1NY.
- Papa Westray School.
- St Andrews School, Toab.
- Firth Primary School, Finstown, KW17 2ES.
- Education department (reception area), School Place, Kirkwall, KW15 1NY.
- Customer Services, Warehouse Buildings, Stromness, KW16 3AA.
- Dounby School, Dounby, KW17 2JA.
- Sutherlands Pharmacy, 43 Victoria Street, Kirkwall, KW15 1DN.
- Glaitness Primary, Kirkwall, KW15.
- Stromness Academy, Stromness, KW16 3JS.
- Burray School, Burray, KW17 2SS.
- Orkney College.
- WHB Sutherlands Chemist, 74 Victoria Street, Stromness, KW16 3BS.
- Kirkwall and St Ola Town Hall, Broad Street, Kirkwall, KW15 1DG.
- Smiddybrae House, Vetquoy Road, Dounby, KW17 2HH.
- Orphir Primary School, Orphir, KW16 3LB.
- Stromness Primary, Cairston Road, Stromness, KW16 3JS.
- St Rognvalds House, Kirkwall, KW15.
- Evie Primary School, Evie, KW17 2PE.
- Local Recycling Centres.
- Stenness School, Stenness, KW16 3LB.
Batteries that do not fit in the containers should be taken to one of the local Household Waste Recycling Centres.