There are eight pay and display car parks in Orkney and many free car parks provided for short and long stay, commercial vehicles and householders. Location information is available for Parking and Car Parks.
Excess Charge or Fine
The excess charge, or fine, at all the pay and display car parks is currently £30. The excess charge, or fine, at the two short stay car parks is also currently £30.
This charge is applied if the rules within a car park are not followed. Car Park Attendants are employed to monitor and patrol in the above car parks.
Paying for an Excess Charge
Payment can be made at either:
- Council Offices, School Place, Kirkwall, KW15 1NY.
- Customer Services (Stromness), Warehouse Buildings, 2-12 Victoria Street, Stromness, KW16 3AA.
Details of opening times for both offices are available from the 'Contact Us in Person' page available from the 'Related Links' section of this page.
Cash, Cheque, Debit and Credit Cards are accepted. Cheques should be crossed and made payable to Orkney Islands Council. Receipts for payments by cheque or card will not be issued unless requested.
Car Parking for Disabled People
Parking in the Council's pay and display car parks is free for disabled people provided:
- You display a blue badge on the front windscreen of your vehicle.
- You park in a marked bay.
- There are a number of disabled bays in some of the pay and display car parks.