Orkney Islands Council
Working together for a better Orkney

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licence

A licence is required for a property where three or more unrelated adults live and share either cooking, toilet or personal washing facilities. This would include hostels, bedsits, student residence and shared flats. The premises should be the sole or main residence of those people.

All the information you require to apply for a Houses in Multiple Occupation Licence is available in various PDF documents from the 'Related Downloads' section of this page.

If you require further information about this topic please contact Environmental Health on telephone: 01856873535 extension 2801 or via email

Related Links