Home and Debts
If you are living in a home which the deceased owned or rented:
- Do not move out of the home without getting legal advice about your rights.
- Do not let all or part of the home, or take in a lodger, without receiving legal advice.
- Contact the building society or bank, the landlord or the Council to arrange how the mortgage or rent should be paid in future.
- Find out if there is an insurance policy covering the mortgage and, if there is, inform the insurance company of the death.
- Debts are paid out of the deceased’s estate. Relatives do not have to pay them out of their own income or savings.