For many years, the Council has provided Green Cones that dispose of food waste (cooked and uncooked), reducing it to water and carbon dioxide, and greatly improving the quality of the surrounding soil in the process.
How it works
Designed for a sunny position in a well drained garden, Green Cone is suitable for use by an average family of four people. The double-walled solar cone creates a heat trap of circulating are, encouraging the growth of harmless bacteria and helping insulate the decaying matter in winter. A below ground digestion chamber means worms and natural soil organisms can migrate freely in and out of the basket ensuring odourless processing.
Benefits to the householder
- No smelly waste.
- With no food waste in your bin, other rubbish is dry and easy to recycle.
- Safe for you and your pets.
- Easy to set up and maintain.
- Reduces household’s carbon footprint.
Benefits to the environment
- Save up to 25% of household waste being collected.
- Easier recycling household waste.
- Reduce the need for landfill.
- Less food waste in landfill means reduced greenhouse gases.
These are still available free of charge from the Hatston Household Waste Recycling Centre.
A 'Green Cone FAQ' document is available from the 'Related Downloads' section of this page.