Funerals can be expensive. Check where the money for the funeral will come from before making the final arrangements, otherwise you might have to bear all or some of the cost yourself.
The cost can be met from:
- The money and possessions left by the deceased.
- The deceased’s estate - reasonable funeral expenses take priority over other debts.
- The deceased’s bank account. This might be frozen unless it is a joint account. You should ask the manager of the deceased’s bank or building society.
Funeral Payments from the Social Fund
You may be able to get help if you or your partner is receiving:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Working Families Tax Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Benefit
- Disabled Person’s Tax Credit
You need to fill in the form, ‘Funeral payments from the Social Fund’ which is available from Jobcentre Plus.