Kirkwall THI Training Grants
To accompany the building grant works a detailed training and complementary initiatives plan was produced in partnership with local stakeholders, which will be implemented over the lifetime of the THI. This plan identifies the target groups for training, including training for:
- Construction workers in traditional building skills.
- Cuilding professionals to ensure an appreciation of the need to safeguard the character of the conservation area and appropriate specification for traditional buildings.
- Residents and the local community to raise awareness of the repair and maintenance needs of traditional properties.
- Tour guides to develop knowledge of new routes and themes, encouraging tours within lesser known areas of Kirkwall.
- Business owners and employees to promote business development and marketing including customer care.
- School pupils to learn about their built environment and promote opportunities available within the heritage construction industry.
In addition to training the THI will partner with a number of local stakeholders to develop projects which both the community and visitors can enjoy. Examples within the plan include:
- The production of a new exhibit which interprets the development of Kirkwall.
- Development of signage and interpretation within the town centre.
- Use of technology to develop a self-guiding trail and itinerary planning app.
- Developing a web presence for all businesses.
- Town centre shopping and cultural events.
- Public art which reflects Kirkwall’s heritage.
Some of these projects are already progressing and updates can be seen on the Kirkwall THI Latest News page by following the link from the 'Related Links' section of this page.
For anyone interested in attending any of the above courses or if you have any ideas on how any of the above projects can be developed, please contact us on 01856886468 or by email.