Change of Circumstances
If you are receiving Housing Benefit you must tell us about any changes in your circumstances which might affect your claim. You may lose some entitlement to benefit if you fail to tell us of a change within 1 month of the change taking place.
Things to Tell Us About
The following are examples of changes you must tell us about:
- Where you live.
- Who lives with you.
- Changes in your income or savings.
- The income of anyone who lives with you.
- Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Incapacity Benefit, Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit stopping.
- The amount you pay for your rent.
- If you are going to be away from home for more than 13 weeks.
- If you or your partner receive Pension Credit you should contact the Pension Service about changes in your circumstances, a link to their website can be found at the Related Sites section of this page, or on telephone: 08456060265.
In 2012/13 it took an average of 5 days for the Council to process a change in circumstances. In 2013/14 this performance improved to 3.5 days. The most common reasons for changes in circumstances are changes in income or earnings or changes of address.
You can tell us about changes by completing the form for reporting changes of circumstances in the Related Downloads section of this page.
Change of Address
If you are already claiming benefit and you are changing your address you can download a copy of our Change of Address form from the Related Downloads section of this page.
Failure to Notify
Failure to notify us of changes in your circumstances may result in any overpaid benefit being recovered from you. Approximately 85% of all overpayments are as a result of delays in telling the Council about changes in circumstances.
You will reduce the risks of being overpaid if you tell us straight away about changes of circumstances.
For further information on notifying us of a change in your circumstances, please contact the Benefits Team on telephone 01856873535 or email the benefits team.