Business Gateway Workshops in Orkney
Examples of the type of free workshops run in Orkney are provided below, a more comprehensive list is provided in the 'Related Downloads' section of this page, along with a current programme of events. Workshops and events are being continually developed, so we may pilot new workshops from time to time or hold events if there is a local demand. If you have registered with Business Gateway Orkney, you will receive updates on upcoming workshops. To register please send an email.
New Business Start Up (2 days)
This workshop will help you develop your idea(s) into a practical and effective plan to launch your business.
Key elements covered include:
- Developing a realistic, working business plan.
- Introduction to VAT, tax and financial record keeping.
- Deciding what finance you need and to manage your cash.
- Getting the marketing right for your business (including market research).
Marketing Your Business (1 day)
Aimed at clients starting new businesses who want to understand their target markets and how to reach them, as well as existing businesses who want to revisit their marketing plan, this workshop will help you create a realistic and cost effective plan to improve your marketing efforts. You will learn what and where your market is, how to identify what your customers need and explore what type of marketing is best for you.
Record Keeping (1 day)
This course will help give you the knowledge and skills to manage your finances and advise you what records you need to keep to comply with the law.
Key elements include:
- Understanding what records need to be kept and for how long.
- Understanding broad accounting principles.
- How to choose and use different accounting periods and financial years.
- Choosing and setting up a suitable record keeping system appropriate to your business.
- Identifying and understanding what statutory returns are required.
- Using your records to monitor and improve the performance of your business.
If you are interested in finding out more about any of the workshops, please contact the Business Gateway on 01856886666 or send us an email. To book online visit the Business Gateway Events page from the 'Related Sites' section of this page.
HM Revenue and Customs Workshops
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) have a series of online (web based) presentations or webinars giving tax related help to businesses and the self-employed.
The webinars are free but you must register in advance. The presentations last approximately 30 minutes and there are two types:
- Live webinars on set dates that allow a further 30 minutes for live Q and A.
- Pre-recorded webinars, available round the clock.
The webinars cover many topics, including:
- Business expenses and capital allowances.
- First steps as an employer.
- The Construction Industry Scheme.
- Self Assessment online.
- Limited Companies, an overview.
- How VAT works.
To find out more or register, visit the HMRC webinars web page from the 'Related Sites' section of this page.