Listen or Translate with Browsealoud
Orkney Islands Council uses Browsealoud to assist site visitors who may need reading support.
Listen to this website with Browsealoud
Whether you are using a Smartphone, Tablet, PC or Mac, Browsealoud will provide the speech and reading support tools you require for free.
What is Browsealoud?
Browsealoud reads website content out loud using the most natural and engaging voice to transform your online reading experience.
Features include Translator, Simplifier, Screen Masking for Touch Screens and the ability to personalise the settings to suit individual needs and preferences.
Other features include:
- Text-to-speech with choice of reading speeds and highlighters to enhance reading comprehension.
- Translate web pages into 78 languages; speak translated text aloud in 35 languages.
- On-screen text magnifier helps users with visual impairments.
- MP3 generator converts text to audio files for offline listening.
- Screen mask blocks on-screen clutter, letting readers focus on text being read.
- Web page simplifier removes ads and other distracting content for easier reading.
- Custom settings that are built in to suit individual user needs and preferences.
Who does Browsealoud help?
Browsealoud helps website visitors who require online reading support and those who simply prefer to listen to information instead of reading it. Those with print disabilities, such as dyslexia or mild visual impairments, and those with English as a second language find Browsealoud particularly useful.
Full details of the service provided by Browsealoud can be found on the Browsealoud website available from the 'Related Sites' section of this page.
Browsealoud can translate web pages and content into 78 different languages (35 with supported voice). A list of languages supported is detailed in the 'Supported Languages' document available in PDF format from the 'Related Downloads' section of this page.
How do I get Browsealoud?
Browsealoud can be accessed from any page within this website. At the top right corner of every page there is a link that reads 'Read or translate this site'. Selecting this link will activate Browsealoud and enable site visitors to utilise the various functions as detailed previously.