Tenants Day for Council and OHAL householders
Orkney Islands Council and Orkney Housing Association are holding a Tenants Day on Friday 1 September.
This year’s theme is ‘Healthy Homes, Healthy Lives’.
Following a welcome from Councillor Rob Crichton, attendees will hear from various speakers including Voluntary Action Orkney who will explain how their befriending service can enrich lives – as a volunteer or a service user.
Albyn Housing Society will be presenting virtual models of planned new homes in their area.
A free buffet lunch will be provided and there will be a prize draw at the end of the day.
Erik Firth from the local branch of Department of Work and Pensions will be available for advice on any benefits queries, and housing staff from the Council and OHAL will be on hand too.
Folk can dip in and out of sessions throughout the day. Please RSVP for the event by 28 August for catering purposes by contacting Dominique Walterson, Orkney Islands Council's Housing Officer and Tenant Participation Officer on 01856873535 extension 2180 or email by email.
The event will take place from 10am until 4.30pm at the Kirkwall Town Hall, is free and includes a buffet lunch.
The programme for the day is as follows:
- 10:00 - Welcome and introduction to the day by Councillor Rob Crichton
- 10:15 to 10:45 - VAO Befriending Service - how befriending can enhance your life
- 11:00 to 12:00 midday - Albyn Housing Society presentation
- 12:00 to 12:45 - Lesley Baird from Tenant Participation Advisory Service Scotland (Scottish Social Housing Charter Update)
- 12:45 to 13:45 - Buffet lunch - speeches by Dave Dawson, OHAL Chair and Councillor Rob Chrichton, Chair of Education, Leisure and Housing for the Council.
- 13:45 to 14:00 - Resident Panel member and Volunteer for Orkney Foodbank will give information on Orkney Foodbank
- 14:00 to 14:45 - Housing Options Scotland will give a presentation on how they can help people in need of housing advice
- 15:00 to 15:30 - NHS Orkney will give a talk on the effects of smoking in the home
- 15:30 to 16:00 - Prize draw