Surface dressing update for week starting 28 May
Update issued at 16:05 on 30 May 2018:
Please be advised that due to a number of operational reasons, we have postponed some of the surface dressing work described below.
We expect to resume surface dressing on Thursday (31 May) on the A967 between Quoyloo Road and the A986 Twatt junction.
We will also start work on the A986 from Refuge Corner to Bimbister Road. This work is expected to continue into Friday (1 June)
At this stage, we would not expect to be working on the A965 (Kirkwall – Stromness road) from Binscarth Farm to Germiston Road until early next week (week starting Monday 4 June). We will update further as soon as possible.
Original press release issued 25 May 2018:
Surface dressing of the county’s roads continue next week (starting 28 May) across several locations in Orkney - including on the main Kirkwall to Stromness road.
It’s expected work will take place, weather permitting, as follows:
- Monday 28 May – work will continue on the A967 between Quoyloo Road and the A986 (Twatt junction). There will be a signed diversion via ‘Maggie Garson’s corner’ (ie Vetquoy Rd end) and the Dounby crossroads, or via Loons Road Kirk to the A967 at Brodgar Road. There are no public bus services affected
- Tuesday 29 May - A986 from Refuge Corner to Bimbister Road (up to just short of the Stoneyhill Road junction). Diversion is via Stoneyhill Road (or the A966 Evie to Finstown Road for heavy vehicles).
- Wednesday 30 May – A965 from Binscarth Farm to Germiston Road. Diversion (from Stromness) is via Brig O Wiathe turnoff and Orphir. From the Kirkwall side of Finstown, diversion would be via A966 (Finstown to Evie road).
- Thursday 31 May – work will continue on the A965 from Binscarth Farm to Germiston Road.
Roads will be closed in both directions while surface dressing is being carried out, with closures in place from as early as 06:00 and as late as 18:00. Therefore the public – including secondary school pupils currently travelling into schools for exams - are reminded to check for road closures, diversions and bus service changes that could affect them.
School transport buses will be escorted through the work sites.
Public buses will be permitted through work sites during peak hours only (before 09.30 and after 16:00). More details on bus services impacted are available below.
Roads will be closed to all other traffic, with the exception of emergency vehicles.
Bus services affected:
The works on the A986 (Refuge Corner to Bimbister Road) on Tuesday 29 May will affect Service 7 (Stromness and Kirkwall to Birsay via Dounby). The 06:34 and 07:34 services (departing Stromness) and 17:35 service (departing Kirkwall) are unaffected. Outwith these times, the bus will not serve Finstown (Baikies), Harray Road End to Dounby.
The roadworks on A965 from Binscarth Farm to Germiston Road will affect three public bus services:
- Service X1 (St Margarets Hope – Kirkwall – Stromness) - Services up to the 8:40 from Stromness and the 08:35 from Kirkwall will be unaffected. Services after the 15:40 from Stromness (departing Stromness Academy) and the 16:20 from Kirkwall will be unaffected. Outwith these times, the bus will not serve between Kirkwall and Stenness and will travel via Brig o Waithe and Orphir. There are a number of departures affected - please check timetables.
- Service 7 (Stromness and Kirkwall to Birsay via Dounby): The 06:34 and 07:34 departing Stromness and the 17:35 departing Kirkwall will be unaffected. Outwith these times, the bus will not serve Finstown (Baikies) to Harray Road End. There is only one service in each direction affected.
- Service 8S (Stromness to Skara Brae) - The 16:45 from Kirkwall (Monday Thursday and Saturday) will be unaffected. Outwith these times the bus will not serve Finstown (Baikies) to Harray Road End and Brodgar Road.