Surface dressing reminder
Drivers are reminded to check for road closures and diversions that could affect them when surface dressing work starts in Orkney this week.
A rolling programme of work is set to takes place across the Orkney Mainland and in Hoy and Westray during May, June and July. It is due to get underway later in the week.
Roads will be closed in both directions for a time while surface dressing is carried out.
Darren Richardson, Orkney Islands Council’s Head of Infrastructure and Strategic Projects, said: “We’d urge people to check for themselves when road closures and diversions will be in place on the routes they use and allow some extra time for their journeys.
“We’ll be working to complete each area as quickly as possible, and the full road closures will help with this. It will also help ensure the safety of our workers as well as other road users.
“We’d also take this opportunity to remind drivers to observe 20mph road signs which they’ll see as when our staff are out doing preparatory work – and when roads open again after surface dressing has taken place.
“This is not only for the safety of staff and fellow drivers, as the slower speeds also help the chips to bed in.”
From later this week, work will start in the following areas, weather permitting:
- Old Finstown Road from Market Stance (the stables near the turn off to Sunnybank Road) to the 30mph sign as you come into Kirkwall. Diversion is via Sunnybank Road and Ayre Mills roundabout and through Kirkwall.
- A986 from Refuge Corner to Bimbister Road just short of the Stoneyhill Road junction. Diversion is via the A966 (Evie to Finstown Road) and the Stoneyhill Road.
- A986 between the Dounby 30mph signs. Diversion is via the A966, (Hundland Road), A965 (Stromness-Kirkwall road) and A967 (Stromness-Birsay road).
- Appietown Road - short section on Appietown Road from Church Road to the A986. There will be a short, signed diversion.
- Back Road (Dounby) - a short section of residential road from the A986 to Vetquoy Road.
Information about changes to bus services while work takes place at a particular location will be available on this website.
For ‘live’ bus timetable information visit the Stagecoach app – or call Stagecoach on 870555.
Anyone with issues arising from these road works should contact the Council’s Roads Support Team on 01856 873535.