Senior appointments made by Council
Elected Members have appointed Orkney Islands Council's Convener, Leader and Depute Leader.
The appointments were made at the Statutory General Meeting, the first meeting to be held since Councillors were elected to serve on the Council in the recent Local Government Elections.
Councillor Harvey Johnston was appointed as Convener, the Council’s civic head.
Councillor James Stockan was appointed as the Council’s Leader. Councillor Leslie Manson will serve as Depute Leader, after his appointment today.
The Chairs of the Council’s main Committees were also appointed:
- Education, Leisure and Housing Committee – Councillor Rob Crichton.
- Development and infrastructure Committee – Councillor Graham Sinclair.
- Orkney Health and Care Committee – Councillor Rachael King.
- Monitoring and Audit Committee – Councillor John Richards.
- Planning Committee – Councillor Owen Tierney.
In addition, Councillor King will serve as Vice-Chair of Orkney’s Integration Joint Board, the body which plans and commissions community health and social care services in the county.