Roadworks resume on Junction and New Scapa roads
Diversions and changes to public bus timetables will be in place from this Monday (10 September) while vital road work is carried out by the Council on Junction Road and New Scapa Road in Kirkwall.
The work is programmed to last for up to three weeks and will see the section of road between Hornersquoy (the turnoff from New Scapa Road into the main Balfour Hospital entrance) and the crossroads at Main Street closed to all vehicular through traffic between the hours of 07:00 and 18:00. This will also close the junction at High Street.
Signed diversion routes will be in place taking in Clay Loan, the Holm Branch Road and Forelands Road. A map showing the diversions is available from the 'Related Downloads' section of this page and on the OIC Updates Facebook page.
Access to businesses and properties located within the site area will be maintained as far as possible. There may be short delays on occasions dependent on the nature of works being carried out at any particular time.
The junction of Manse Road onto New Scapa Road will be closed throughout the duration of works but access to residential properties and businesses on Manse Road and the surrounding area will be accessible at all times via Laverock Road and Broadsands Road.
Pedestrian access will be maintained at all times.
Darren Richardson, Head of Infrastructure and Strategic Projects, said: “These are vital works which we started in the spring, around the junction with Pickaquoy Road and the bottom of Clay Loan/Union Street.
“Completing this section in the Hornersquoy area just north of the Hospital will renew a busy section of road which takes a lot of heavy traffic.
“We’ll be working on issues such as rippling on the road surface, replacing or resetting manhole covers, and levelling out sections where there has been tracks dug and patched, as well as taking the opportunity to check on some of the drainage in the area.
“The signed diversions are the shortest route safe for all vehicles to use, avoiding any roads with weight limits or narrow points.
“We’re hoping to have the crossroads at Wellington Street, New Scapa Road, Main Street and Junction Road open by the end of the first week of the works. Motorists are advised to avoid Main Street in at first week.
“We’ve been in contact with residents and businesses in the areas affected to advise them of the extent of the works and how they can report any issues. We’ll try and keep congestion and disruption to a minimum however if anyone wishes to contact the Council with issues arising from the works, please call the Council’s Roads Operations team on 01856872311.
“Working with our transport colleagues here at the Council, we’ve liaised with Stagecoach to try and ensure local buses can cover as much as their usual routes as possible.”
Public service buses affected are X1 (St Margarets Hope to Kirkwall), Service 2 (Kirkwall to Houton Ferry) and Service 4 (Airport).
Arrangements for those routes during the period of the road works are as follows:
- Service X1 between Kirkwall and Stromness the service will operate as normal.
- Service X1 from St Margarets Hope - will operate as normal until it reaches Holm Road when it will divert via Bignold Park Road, Clay Loan, Union Street, Junction Road, Pickaquoy Road, Great Western Road, Travel Centre.
- Service 2 (Kirkwall to Houton Ferry) Outbound from Kirkwall the bus will travel via Castle Street, Broad Street, Palace Road, Dundas Crescent, Bignold Park Road, Holm Road, Holm Branch Road, Foreland Road. Inbound the bus will travel as normal until it reaches Foreland road, where it will divert via Holm Branch Road, Holm Road, Bignold Park Road, Clay Loan, Union Street, Junction Road, Pickaquoy Road, Great Western Road, Travel Centre (Please note buses might not meet ferry departures).
- Service 3 (Kirkwall to Deerness via Tankerness) – will operate as normal.
- Service 4 (Kirkwall to Kirkwall Airport) – The route will be: (Outbound from Kirkwall) Kirkwall Travel Centre, Junction Road, Harbour Street, Shore Street, Harbour Street, Junction Road, Union Street, Clay Loan, Bignold Park Road, Holm Road, Holm Branch Road, Turn at roundabout, Holm Branch Road, Holm Road, Easdale Loan, Deerness Road, A960, Airport. (Inbound to Kirkwall): Airport, A960, Deerness Road, Easdale Road, Holm Road, Holm Branch Road, turn at roundabout, Holm Branch Road, Holm Road, Bignold Park Road, Clay Loan, Union Street, Junction Road, Pickaquoy Road, Ayre Road, Burgh Road, Travel Centre.
- Service 6 (Kirkwall to Tingwall Ferry) will operate as normal.
- Service 7 (Kirkwall to Birsay via Dounby) – will operate as normal.
- Service 8S (Kirkwall to Skara Brae) - will operate as normal.
- Service 9 (Kirkwall Town Service) - will operate as normal.
- Service X10 (Hatston Ferry Link to Stromness Service) - will operate as normal.