Orkney is getting into the festive spirit as the tree lighting season gets underway next week.
The first tree to be lit will be in Stromness on Wednesday (29 November), at the Town House at 18:00pm.
The full list of tree lighting ceremonies is as follows:
- Wednesday 29 November: Stromness Town House at 18:00pm
- Friday 1 December: St Margaret’s Hope (Cromarty Square) at 18:15pm; Dounby (opposite the Co-Op) at 18:30pm; Shapinsay (outside the school) at 19:00pm.
- Saturday 2 December: Sanday (at Sanday Community School) at 18:30pm; Burray (at Old Burray School corner) at 18:30pm; St Marys (at Holm Community Hall) at 18:30pm; Flotta (at lower car Park, Burnside) at 19:00pm; Westray (adjacent to Pierowall Hotel Car Park) at 19:30pm.
- Sunday 3 December: Orphir (at Orphir Community School) at 18:00pm.
- Wednesday 6 December: Stenness (at the Stenness Community School car park) at 18:30pm.
- Friday 8 December: Finstown (at Firth car park) at 18:30pm.
- Saturday 9 December: Kirkwall (Grimstaad Tree) at St Magnus Cathedral, at 17:15pm.
The Council is expecting to take delivery of Christmas trees later this week, for inside and outside the St Magnus Cathedral from Grimstaad and Hordaland respectively.
The trees are delivered each year from Norway as part of the Orkney/Norway twinning relationship.
Look out for further details about the lighting of the Christmas trees at the Cathedral in coming weeks.