Dementia Awareness Week in Orkney
Organisations across Orkney will come together over next week (28 May to 3 June 2017) to raise awareness of dementia within the local community. A series of events have been planned by staff from Orkney Health and Care, alongside voluntary organisations that provide support to people and families living with dementia.
Saturday 3 June will see the team ‘Step Up for Dementia’ as they walk from Bridge Street to Broad Street to pledge their support for people living with dementia. The walk will be led by the Rendall Pipe Band, takes place from 13.00 to 14.00 and is open to all.
Doris Day fans will be delighted to see that there will be two dementia friendly screenings of the musical classic ‘Calamity Jane’ taking place at the Pickaquoy Centre on Tuesday 30 May from 14.00 to 16.30 and Thursday 1 June from 18:30 to 21.00.
A street window competition is also being run in Kirkwall, where folk are being asked to spot the number of Dementia Friendly Orkney logos on show. Folk can then submit their answer at the Welcome Session event in the Peedie Kirk on Saturday 2 June, with prizes on offer for children and adults.
BBC Radio Orkney have also lent their support as they dedicated their weekly Friday night request programme to carers and families on Friday 2 June. To place a request call 01856873939 or email Radio Orkney
The full list of events is below:
Sunday 28 May
- St Margarets Hope Church Dementia focused service (all welcome): 18.00 to 19.00.
Monday 29 May
Singing group at Eunson Kloss (open session): 14.30 to 16.00.
Tuesday 30 May
- Gilbertson Day Centre coffee morning: 11.00 to 12.30.
- Dementia friendly Calamity Jane film at Pickaquoy Centre: 14.00 to 16.30.
- Positive strategies for dementia care at Gilbertson Day Centre: 15.30 to 17.00.
- Dementia awareness and experiential session – Gilbertson Day Centre: 18.30 to 20.00.
Wednesday 31 May
- Tea and Blether awareness session - St Margarets Hope Church: 10.30 to 12.00.
- Singing and coffee afternoon at St Peters House, Stromness: 14.30 to 16.30.
- Selbro Resource Centre Open afternoon: 14.00.
- Carers Centre open day: 13.30 to 16.00.
- Hospital Canteen purple themed day (all day).
Thursday 1 June
- Young at Heart Café (Life Centre, East Road) 2nd anniversary with music and purple theme: 13.30 to 15.00.
- Smiddybrae House coffee afternoon with 50’s theme: 14:00 to 16:00.
- Dementia friendly Calamity Jane film at Pickaquoy Centre: 18.30 to 21.00.
Friday 2 June
- Singing in the St Magnus Cathedral (all welcome): 14.00 to 16.00.
- Radio Orkney Requests Programme section dedicated to carers: 18.00 to 19.00.
Saturday 3 June
- “Step Up for Dementia” (walk from Bridge Street to Broad Street – led by Rendall Pipe band): 13.00 to 14.00.
- All welcome session in Peedie Kirk (with tea, coffee, entertainment, bake sale and competition judging): 14.00 to 16.00 (winner of badges and Dounby School Poster competition to be announced and prizes awarded).
- Bingo in King Street Halls (organised by Tesco): 19.00.
- St Magnus Cathedral to be lit up in purple.
Monday to Saturday (29 May to 3 June)
- June edition of Living Orkney – personal story to raise awareness.
- Badges in windows Competition – prize for most badges collected – presented at Event at Peedie Kirk (Saturday).
- Awareness Window display at Age Scotland Orkney.
- Orkney College awareness stand.