Council closed for May Day public holiday
Orkney Islands Council is reminding the public that Council offices will be closed on Monday, 7 May for the ‘May Day’ public holiday.
All schools and libraries in the county will also be closed.
Chinglebraes Waste Transfer Station, Bossack Landfill Site and all the Recycling Centres will be closed for the day, reopening on Tuesday 8 May 2018 following the new summer opening times available here.
There will be no refuse or recycling collections on Monday 7 May (either household or commercial). Changed arrangements next week for anyone who normally receives a collection on a Monday are as follows:
- Area 1 – Kirkwall (Central and North West) will be collected on Thursday 10 May (recycling).
- Area 6 – Deerness, Tankerness and St Andrews will be collected on Thursday 10 May 2018 (recycling).
- Area 9 – Stromness (Central Areas) - will be collected on Tuesday 8 May 2018 (refuse).
- For businesses who currently receive a weekly or twice weekly collection service in areas 1, 4, 6, 13 and 15 on a Monday, these will be collected on Tuesday 8 May 2018 instead.
- The commercial cardboard collection for Kirkwall and East Mainland will be collected on Wednesday 9 May.
All other collection routes will be on their usual days.
All Refuse and Recycling should be out ready for collection by 08:00 to ensure uplift.
The Council’s day centres for adults with learning disabilities will be open as usual.
Orkney Ferries will be running a normal summer timetable and the offices will be open as normal – details on the website
Members of the public can use the following numbers on 7 May for urgent matters:
- For roads, street lighting, footway defects and conditions relating to severe weather and flooding, please phone 876338.
- For emergency repairs to Council owned housing and other Council owned properties, please phone 873430.
- For the Registrar in emergencies only, please phone 07860448271.
- Should you become homeless out of hours, you should phone 07921582962.
- Emergency out of hours duty social work services can be contacted through the Balfour Hospital on 888000 for the duration of the holiday period.