OIC Twitter Guide
This page sets out how Orkney Islands Council uses Twitter as part of it's wider public communications.
The OrkneyCouncil Twitter account is managed by the Council’s Communications team, on behalf of colleagues across Orkney Islands Council.
We may occasionally use some automation (such as tools which generate tweets from RSS feeds) but intend that this will not dominate the messages posted.
If you follow us, you can expect between 2-10 tweets a week, more during bad weather, covering some or all of the following:
- Alerts about new content on our other digital channels (the OIC website, news releases, events etc)
- Invitations to provide feedback on specific issues on which we are consulting
- Alerts about Churchill Barrier closures as advised by the Kirkwall Police
If you follow @OrkneyCouncil we will not automatically follow you back. This is to discourage the use of direct messaging, avoid resource wasting spam handling and so that you can easily identify other key Twitter users that we think are relevant to our industry and government in who we follow. However, being followed by us does not imply endorsement of any kind.
We will update and monitor our Twitter account during office hours, Monday to Friday. Twitter may occasionally be unavailable and we accept no responsibility for lack of service due to Twitter downtime.
@Replies and Direct Messages
- We welcome feedback and ideas from all our followers and endeavour to ensure that any emerging themes or helpful suggestions are passed to the relevant people in the Council.
- We cannot engage on issues of party politics or respond to tweets which bully, harass or intimidate individuals or organisations, refer to ongoing legal proceedings, or which are unlawful, libellous, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented or racially offensive, or are repetitive and disruptive.
- Our Twitter feed is not a customer service channel - the usual ways of contacting us for official correspondence are detailed in the Contact Us section of our website, available under the Related Links menu on this page.