Orkney Islands Council uses social media to help alert the Orkney public about service disruptions. Please note that Twitter and Facebook are independent websites and the Council cannot guarantee against alerts being delayed. You don't need to join Twitter or Facebook to view alerts.
OIC Facebook Pages
Follow us on our OIC School Transport Facebook page to get the latest information on school closures and school transport disruptions during bad weather. Also, read the 'School Emergency Closures' page available from the 'Related Links' section of this page, and tune into Radio Orkney's morning programme at 07:30 on weekdays.
We also use our OIC Updates Facebook page to provide you with more general Council news and information.
OIC Twitter feeds
Follow @OrkneyCouncil for general Council news and information, including adverse weather school closures.
Follow @OIC_Roads on Twitter for Churchill Barrier closures. Please note that conditions at the barriers are very changeable and review times stated on Twitter can change at short notice.
Other ways we keep you informed
- We provide school closure information to the local BBC station Radio Orkney in time for their 7.30am weekday broadcasts.
- We provide information about Council service disruptions to local press (BBC Radio Orkney; The Orcadian newspaper online) when possible during Council business hours.
- We post information about Council service disruptions onto the OIC homepage when technically possible during business hours.
If you have any suggestions about how we can improve our updates, please email us.
Are you ready?
For more information about preparing for emergencies, including floods and severe and/or wintry weather, visit the Council's Emergency Planning section, also available from the 'Related Links' section of this page.
Other Useful Numbers and Links:
- Keep up to date with ferry service changes on the Orkney Ferries website.
- Stagecoach (Orkney) - Kirkwall bus depot, Hatston Industrial Estate, Kirkwall. Telephone: 01856870555 or 01856878014.
- School contact information: A list of schools in Orkney and their contact numbers is available from the 'Related Links' section of this page.
- Emergency contact details for Orkney Islands Council are available from the 'Related Links' section of this page.
- The Kirkwall weather forecast is available from the Met Office website within the 'Related Sites' section of this page.