Universal Credit replaces the following six working-age welfare benefits:
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
- Income Support.
- Working Tax Credit.
- Child Tax Credit.
- Housing Benefit.
Universal Credit continues to be rolled out nationally and is expected to fully replace replace the above benefits for working age claimants by 2023.
Key features of Universal Credit include:
- A single payment monthly in arrears.
- Payments made into a bank account.
- Payments will include an amount for any rent due (called housing costs).
- The preferred means of making a claim is on-line.
Scottish concessions include:
- The option to have twice monthly payments.
- The option to have housing costs paid direct to the landlord.
More information can be found in the Related Sites section of this page.