Referendum on membership of EU
A Referendum on the UK's membership of the European Union will be held on Thursday 23 June 2016.
The question on the referendum ballot paper will be:
'Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?’
The choices on the ballot paper will be one of the following:
- Remain a member of the European Union.
- Leave the European Union.
Voters will mark their choice using a cross (X).
The following list details dates for actions and events in relation to the upcoming Referendum. .
- Notice of Referendum - Tuesday 17 May (Available from the 'Related Downloads' section of this page).
- Delivery of Poll cards - From Wednesday 18 May.
- Dispatch of Postal Votes to Overseas voters - From Friday 27 May.
- Postal Votes dispatched - From Thursday 2 June.
- Notice of Poll and Situation of Polling Places - Wednesday 1 June (Available from the 'Related Downloads' section of this page).
- Deadline for registering to vote - Tuesday 7 June.
- Deadline for applying for a postal or postal proxy vote - 17:00 on Wednesday 8 June.
- Deadline for Proxy vote deadlines - 17:00 on Wednesday 15 June.
- First Day that electors can apply for a replacement for a lost postal vote - Friday 17 June.
- Polling Day - Thursday 23 June 2016, 07:00 to 22:00.
- Counting of the Votes - From 22:00 on Thursday 23 June.